Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Peshawar Massacre Anniversary By Oroba Tasnim

Peshawar Massacre Anniversary By Oroba Tasnim

As the one year anniversary of probably the most horrific terrorist activity in modern times, approaches, there emerges within us, a feeling of guilt and dissatisfaction. Following the loss of over 141 gallant students and teachers, our hearts were left in immense sorrow, only to be brutally diverged and distracted by other petty things. We remembered the fallen warriors but not in the way they deserved, only frequent intervals dedicated to them, once again we forgot to cherish the sacrifice they bestowed upon us, in a bid to somehow lessen the burden of our country.

I am 19 years old, a university student, yet I am scared to go to school. One year ago, when this attack happened, the school I went to was a couple of houses away. My parents in their attempt to protect me, forbade me to walk there like older times. I refused, prompting myself to go either way, with or without their approval. In my heart, I believed that if I’d fall back, not only would I accumulate a lasting fear within me but also that I would somehow let the terrorists win. I was scorned and scolded for this action, but I did not pay heed, assuming that fear would never seep into my heart because I was confronting it.

But I was wrong. I am still frightened. This coming from the wannabe brave, strong macho person that I am known as would probably startle the people who have come to know me. But the fact of the matter is, I am pathetically terrified of going to school. And this has been triggered due to a dream I had last night where my university was under attack. When I was pulled back to reality, I could for once relate to what the students could have partly felt, because it had all seemed so real to me.

It is terrifying to the maximal. And when I say this, I wonder how our surviving children cope with it everyday. To experience it live and then relive it everyday when they go to school. I for one, would have faltered, yet they rise and shine far brighter than before.

For those who have fallen, I wonder how it would have felt, knowing that they could have easily lived, had it not been for the terror lust of those before them. It is an unimaginable tragedy, an atrocity that multiple people live on a daily basis, yet we cordon it for news headlines and higher ratings alone.

And therein lies hypocrisy. Because unfortunately for those who have been victimized as a result, this is not merely a forty minute long documentary or a reenactment video, this is real life that they are unable to wake up from. And when they put forth their demands of justice, not only are they relentlessly ignored but also thwarted as opportunism.

As a citizen of Pakistan, I believe it is their right to demand whatever they desire, be it logical or not, they deserve it for the numerous sacrifices they have presented. And when I say demand, what really is their demand? Justice in the truest sense so no mother of father has to relive a similar day? Or a national holiday to commemorate those who were so brutally murdered, their bravery, their refusal to bow down? Is that so illogical?

And so as the one year anniversary approaches, pray for the departed souls, for their families and friends and for all those who have been directly or indirectly affected as a result of terrorism. Let’s also pray for the guidance of those who have fallen in error and for the prosperity of the state of Pakistan, for whom all citizens are willing to sacrifice.

‘Mujhay maa ussay badla lenay jana hay
Mujhay dushman kay bachon ko parhana hay’


by webmaster@insaf.pk (tkiadmin)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For Comments