Thursday, March 10, 2016

A great man, a magnificent event, and an unforgettable experience By Hamza Salman

A great man a magnificent event and an unforgettable experience By Hamza Salman

There are moments so fantastic, so surreal and special that they get absolutely etched in mind. Years may go by, but the recollections are redolent of freshness, and give goosebumps.

The very first time I came across Chairman Imran Khan in his capacity as a revolutionary political leader was in Bristol after World Cup '99 match versus West Indies. That was the inaugural match of the tournament. It was bit cold but sun had broken out, and place was awash with typical excitement and fervor of Pakistan supporters. There were hundreds of Pakistan flags being waved in the crowd, with the patented noise of claxons, and continual slogans reminding the players in the ground that Pak fans were anticipating a win. Everybody was looking forward to seeing the new fast bowler on the block, Shoaib Akhtar. We were seated in the stand besides mid-wicket position. It was quite some sight watching Shoaib’s long sprint to the crease and his blinding pace. The first ball he bowled must have been around 95 mph at least as it took the edge of a flinching batsman and sailed over third man boundary for six! Anyhow, Pakistan won the match easily and we had a great time being in one of the more boisterous sections of the crowd.

Our group stayed back in the ground a bit at the end, absorbing the ambience. A Pakistani guy approached us then, and told us, “Imran Khan ne Aap Sab Ko Aaj Daawat Par Bulaya Hai. There’s a function in a local Bristol restaurant tonight, and you’re all invited.” Well….to say the least, we were startled!

I had seen Vivian Richards too there on the field before the match, walking together with the great man and sharing a laugh or two.

We were taken aback and delighted at the same time, wondering why had IK invited us! When we drove to the restaurant after the match, the halls were empty! The waiter told us IK was at the back of the restaurant…….in the garden "talking". We strutted out there and came across around 200 Pakistanis seated, listening with pin drop silence to a drop-dead handsome IK standing at the lectern, talking passionately to them on politics! The place was adorned with another set of flags alongside that of Pakistan – PTI’s two-colored phenomenon. Yes, this was not an invitation by IK directly to talk niceties and cricket, but was of Tehreek-e-Insaf rather! Khan Sahb was wearing a light grey suit. I've never seen anybody in real life, on media or even movies look so mighty handsome! But hey, this was the husband of Jemima Khan, the greatest son of our soil....no ordinary man!

Imran Khan was talking, politely but firmly, to a spellbound audience. We had the most favorite Pakistani, an international mega-celebrity who’d done our country so proud for over two decades, talking about the decadent local politics – the politics that was shunned by vast majority as being the domain of the vile and corrupt! He was laying out his plan, his approach, and how it would liberate Pakistan from clutches of despondency and poverty.

We had arrived near the end of the function, and struggled to find seats in the back rows. IK, in the small Jalsa setting was talking about need for devolution. There were a few middle-aged men and a couple of youngsters standing behind him. They must have been amongst the first PTI workers in England. Talk of devolution and local bodies – people empowerment, in essence, turned out to be the last topic too. At the end of his speech, he fielded questions. The whole audience was entranced. It was clear he had made an impact and made them think. I wonder what they were thinking – why is this illustrious hero of Pakistan delving into politics? Hasn’t he already done tremendous service to the nation? Why doesn’t he spend his life now in lap of luxury that he can? How can he fight this thoroughly depraved system? Maybe, even….What if Pakistan gets this absolute legend as its Prime Minister! Imagine the possibilities.

There was press present there too. Then he said..."One last question and we then break up for dinner". I was not comfortable with his logic regarding devolution, so raised my hand, as did a few others. I was seated with friends in the last row. IK looked around to select whose question he'd take last, and then his eyes stopped at me. He pointed to me and said. .”Yes, you, at the back...you may ask the last question!”

I stood up, already feeling that my legs had started to tremble. People turned back to see who was asking the last question. IK was looking directly into my eyes and here I was ...having undivided attention of my childhood idol! Well...my question was....."You talk about merits and imperatives of devolution, but we have seen what happens when it's done...For example, Karachi is in the hands of gangsters!" I now have to say I had no idea about devolution and my question was misguided. My legs trembled throughout. Anyhow IK shook his head and started talking about how Karachi would benefit from true devolution. At that time, my personally feeling was that IK did not answer my question directly.....but in all fairness....I couldn't care less about the answer or even the question….I was feeling so overwhelmed…...IK was looking at me and answering in detail! Such was the aura, that there was no choice for me but to nod in agreement! Everything around me blurred...I could tell a photographer was coming near and then he took my picture. That picture could never have been ever used because the flash had made me blink. As IK finished giving me the long response, it seemed a dream had been experienced.

After the proceedings, dinner was served. I wanted to get near IK who was talking to a group of guests. I seized the opportunity and accosted him. I stood right in front of him and said...."Khan Sahb, I want to tell you something; you're my childhood idol." He paused a bit...then a wide smile broke out on his face, and he looked to the man sitting on his right side, and blushed! Folks around him also smiled. Well, I had to say something....my mind worked quickly......I didn't know what to say as I was transfixed....there was a feeling of guilt troubling me that I had probably upset him earlier by putting forward such a tough question. Nevertheless, words just came out...."I'm from Karachi....how can I join your party?" It was in my mind that his party could not possibly be operating in London too. He spoke to the guy next to him...took some name after talking to the guy who gave some details to IK...and Khan Sahb replied to me..."Aap un ko phone kar lena Karachi ja kar". He looked happy, giving me a sense of relief and satisfaction.

Well...another story that let alone joining PTI, I was not even going back to Karachi, but was living in London actually. Anyhow, I was happy that he thought he had another joining. I have cherished the memories of that meeting ever since. He was, and always will be my hero. It gives a lot of satisfaction that the promise I made to him of working for PTI - although it took another twelve years to get done, I've fulfilled in the last four years.

Later on, I met him after the Headingley match where Pakistan brushed aside Australia in the most memorable of matches. That is the match regarded by majority of Paks who watched it at the ground, as the most exciting match ever.

At the end of the match, back in the parking lot behind the Press Stand, Khan Sahb was talking to people there too - small groups, and I knew it was not about cricket but something far more important. We observed him from a distance. He then bellowed out to one in our group, a successful entrepreneur who owned a restaurant in Bradford, “Tony, yaar idhar aa, tere se baat karnee hai!” I was shocked, and thought this guy in our group, Tony is more than what I had given him credit for! Tony (he was a British-Pakistani but this is his nickname) walked up to Imran Khan, and came back informing us that IK had arranged with him a political function in Bradford the next week. As he said it, I wondered to myself, “Khan Sahb ne isse kitni izzat di, this guy is so lucky!” Well, today I can assert with full understanding and confidence that actually each and every single one of his millions of party workers is lucky. Lucky to be serving a great cause of such a great man!


by webmaster@insaf.pk (tkiadmin)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For Comments